Monday, May 4, 2015

A recipt.

There's a feast on this weekend.

We're going off-board, as we often to, to meet dietary requirements. Also, it's in my home town - so it's a perfect time for some experimenting.

I found this recipe and knew that both milk jellies and rosewater were period, so wanted to see if I could document something very close:

http://modestmunchies.com/rose-halwa/

It turns out it was easier than I thought.

I had only seen 'Snowe' served with egg whites before, and not the non-egg version:http://www.godecookery.com/engrec/engrec21.html

Perfect. Cream, sugar and rosewater in one place.

This one, a white leach, is closer to what we know as a panna cotta:Thomas Dawson (1597) has a recipe for a white leach which is very similar to panna cotta: a white leach.Take a quart of newe milke, and three ounces weight of Isinglasse, halfe a pounde of beaten suger, and stirre them together, and let it boile half a quarter of an hower till it be thicke, stirring them all the while: then straine it with three spoonfull of Rosewater, thÄ“ put it into a platter and let it coole, and cut it in squares. Lay it fair in dishes, and lay golde vpon it. It is very sweet.


And it's in our time 'period' of pre-16thC, by a whisker.

It's been noted that I need to ensure my cream doesn't contain any additives, and I will likely use gelatin instead of agar or isinglass, due to ease of being able to buy it.

Next stop: testing the recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment